SUMMARY: upgrade/recovery question

From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2000 17:29:58 -0400

It appears that while in Single User Mode, it is OK to overwrite
the / and /usr partitions with what is on the tape (as long as it
is valid for those partitions).

Also noted that the disks can be re-labeled at this point as well,
but I'm not needing to change the partitioning, since that will
stay the same (I made my /usr far large enough now to handle just
about any revision).

Noted that Vdump and Vrestore work with both UFS and ADVS

Noted that when using Vrestore the -s # (file set # is not available)
and must be moved manually before Vrestoring. (However, I'm saving
data on separate tapes for each partition, so that's not a problem)

Also suggested was the use of btcreate.8/btextract.8 for bootable tapes
(I'm currently on 3.2c, and it didn't appear to be available)

And lastly, not only backup, backup x 2 and most importantly, test
for the last file on each backup to make sure the backup's are valid.

Thanks to Alan Davis, Steve Dyer, Bruce Platt, Darryl Cook & Colin Walters

George