SUMMARY: on process creation and termination

From: Daniel Monjar <dmonjar_at_orgtek.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 10:04:33 -0400

Not one person got ugly because it was a homework related question!
thanks...

Lot's of good suggestions but I think the most like one, that was
confirmed with a Sun man page, is that Sun sneaks a wait() call into
the exit() that is implicitly call at program termination.

 Original:
----- Forwarded message from Daniel Monjar <dmonjar_at_orgtek.com> -----

This is vaguely DEC Unix related and, yes, it is derived from a
homework question (my wife's not mine). But something _is_ going on
that, when answered, will further my knowledge so:

The subject is process synchronization. They have a simple program that
looks like this:

#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
  int x;

  printf("PID %d initial process \n", getpid() );

  x = fork();

  printf("PID %d terminates.\n", getpid() );
}

Parent tells its pid, creates a child and then both child and parent
display their pid and exits.

When run on a Sun machine the parent doesn't exit until the child is
done. When I run it on Intel Linux, Alpha Tru64 and Alpha OpenBSD the
parent terminates before the child. What is the Sun doing
differently than the others?

----- End forwarded message -----

--
Daniel Monjar (mailto:dmonjar_at_orgtek.com)
"Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,