NFS server: stale file handle fs(2963,187157) file 162950 gen 32770

From: Jim Fitzmaurice <jpfitz_at_fnal.gov>
Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2000 14:13:34 -0500

Hello,
    I've got the error:

                NFS server: stale file handle fs(2963,187157) file 162950
gen 32770

    I looked in the archives and found several summaries, unfortunately
rebooting isn't an option at this time. But that wasn't the only solution,
just the one mentioned most frequently. The archive also revealed how to
turn the file number into a file name using "vncheck -i" but that requires
the domain name and fileset name, that where I got stuck. We have a number
of NFS mounts and I need to identify which one has the problem. The most
useful solution was to unmount and remount the offending file system, but I
can't determine which one is failing. I can't just start unmounting file
systems until the messages stop, people using those file systems would get
upset, and that wouldn't help me if this happens again. So how do I decode
the numbers to determine which file system has a stale file handle?

Jim Fitzmaurice
jpfitz_at_fnal.gov

UNIX is very user friendly, It's just very particular about who it makes
friends with.