help interpreting svcktcp_send console message

From: Lucio Chiappetti <lucio_at_ifctr.mi.cnr.it>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:33:46 +0200 (MET DST)

A colleague with an Alpha with Tru64 5.0 (managed separately from my three
with DU 3.2) is occasionally experiencing the following console messages (they
appear also in /var/adm/messages and in syslog.date kern.log where they are
prefixed with vmunix.

svcktcp_send : xdr_replymsg failed
rfs_dispatch : sendreply failed IP address : x.y.z.t

where x.y.z.t is the IP address of our institute DNS, NIS master and main NFS
server (which is a Sun).

What is the meaning of those messages ?
which s/w module is generating them ?

Last time this occurred was yesterday afternoon when the Alpha was rebooted
after our request.

The curious thing is that in this occasion (as in previous occasions of some
httpd activity on that particular Alpha) there has been (within 20 sec) a
surge of ypbind processes on the NIS master Sun, which rapidly lead it to
saturate swap space and process table, effectively halting NIS and all our
institute's work.

It is not clear to us where this is just coincidental, or if some activity on
the Alpha is somehow generating the problem on the Sun.

NB : the Alpha mounts (bg,soft) one disk from the Sun (and two disks from
my Alpha). The Sun has the home disk of the Alpha in the automount maps, but
should mount it only when necessary (i.e. almost never).

Any clue ?

Lucio Chiappetti - IFCTR/CNR - via Bassini 15 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
For more info : http://www.ifctr.mi.cnr.it/~lucio/personal.html