SUMMARY: maximum PID value in TU5.0A

From: Charles Vachon <cvachon2_at_mrn.gouv.qc.ca>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 2000 10:33:52 -0400

Hello managers,

>I'm trying to find a way to limit the maximum PID value used in Tru64
>UNIX v5.0A. By declarations in header files one can find the following
>about v5.0A:
>
>in /usr/include/limits.h:
> #define PID_MAX INT_MAX /* max value for process ID

>*/
>and in /usr/include/machine/machlimits.h:
> #define INT_MAX 2147483647 /* max value for an int
>*/
>
>So this means that on TU5.0A, PID numbers could (in theory at least)
>climb to 10-digit values. My concern is that various sysadmin utilities

>(like top, for instance) are not able to handle such long PID numbers.
>would like to make TU5.0A behave like older 4.x versions, which BTW
have
>these values defined:
>
>in /usr/include/limits.h:
> #define PID_MAX SHRT_MAX /* max value for a process
>ID, >=30000 */
>and in /usr/include/machine/machlimits.h:
> #define SHRT_MAX 32767 /* max value for a short */

>The obvious answer is to modify /usr/include/limits.h so that the
define
>for PID_MAX resembles that of versions 4.x., and to recompile the
>kernel. Alas, this does not seem to work. After a reboot using the new
>kernel, PID numbers still climb above SHRT_MAX. Could the contents of
>/usr/include/limits.h have no effect on the compilation? Or maybe I'm
>just dead wrong and I miss something important here...
>
>I've also tried to shim the same #define into the
>/sys/YOUR_HOSTNAME/param.c file, just in case it would take effect
>there, but it too did not work.
>
>Any suggestions? This issue was previously discussed in the mailing
list
>for a 4.x host. see
>http://www.ornl.gov/its/archives/mailing-lists/tru64-unix-managers/2000/02/msg00341.html

>for the summary.
>
>TIA/will summarize

Thanks to:
        alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com
        "Lavelle, Bryan" <Bryan.Lavelle_at_COMPAQ.com>
        Jim Belonis <belonis_at_dirac.phys.washington.edu>
        "Haesaerts, Corinne" <Corinne.Haesaerts_at_compaq.com>
for quick replies.

Basically all respondents said the same thing: forget it, it can't be
done unless you have the whole source tree for Tru64 UNIX, which,
obviously, I do not have! Better off adapt utilities like top from their
source to handle 10-digit PID values.

Corrine made the following comment on actual PID values used:

«The PID values actually scroll from 0 to about 500 000 on Tru64 V5.
That is,
if you are on a standalone system.
In a cluster, the 1st member has PID numbers ranging from 500 000+ to 1
000
000 (this probably needs to be converted to a correct power of 2)
member 2 has PID numbers ranging from 1000000+ to 1500000, etc.»

Charles Vachon tel: (418) 627-6355 x2760
  email: cvachon2_at_mrn.gouv.qc.ca
  Administrateur de système
  FRCQ/Ministère des Ressources
  Naturelles du Québec