ftp hanging on bare linefeeds

From: Bochnik, William J <BochnikWJ_at_bernstein.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 14:27:01 -0400

anyone else have ftp processes into a DUnix box hang on a "malformed" ascii
file (one with multiple bare linefeeds in it when you tell the system the
file is ascii)?

The system(s) in question are 4.0D and 4.0F with relatively recent patches

ftp> put ex.std
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for ex.std (xx.xx.xx.xx).
230-WARNING! 2 bare linefeeds received in ASCII mode
   File may not have transferred correctly.
226 Transfer complete.
421 Timeout (900 seconds): closing control connection.

The problem is that we might not be able to tweak the data file before it is
sent, and occasionally it does end up with multiple bare linefeeds. We also
do not want to xfer it as binary and convert later.

Any comments/ideas/etc??? We're having discussions as to the approach to
fixing this.

William J. Bochnik

Systems Programmer
Operations, CMIS