SUMMARY: block large email to an alias?

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 12:13:30 -0400

Thanks for the responses...!

Quick answer was you can "globally" limit attachment/message size in
sendmail, but that won't work fo us since many valid/important emails have
huge attachments.

Another suggestion which I'll put on my "like to do" list is replace
aliases with a listserv (listserv, listproc, majordomo, mailman), which
allows much more flexibility in who and what.

Another was to use procmail to process messages to the alias, with a rule
to dump messages larger than a certain size to an administrative account or
into the dirty bit
bin (/dev/null). See man procmailex. (in our case it's not installed, so
installing a listserv may be better).

and one last idea...
As last resort you could make two aliases for your list. Say now you have
list: user1,user2,....user181
If you make an arrangement like this
list: |script
true-list: user1,user2,....user181
and pipe the mail through a script which checks the size and, if passed,
forwards to the hidden "true-list" ...

--Dan

>Is there any "easy" way to block a huge email sent to an alias?
>I had a staff member send a 1mb file to an alias which got forwarded to
>181 recipiants, almost filling the disk.
>
>Thanks
>--Dan

Dan Kirkpatrick dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu
Computer Systems Manager