KGPSA Controller installation creating havoc with /dev

From: Terrence Haupt <Terrence.Haupt_at_ln.ssw.abbott.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 13:55:39 -0500

I have an ES40 (10 pci slot model) running 4.0f using ADVFS I am trying to
install a KGPSA fibre controller.

I boot the machine to single user mode with genvmunix
mount -u /
I tried to mount /usr but was unable to... I learned that booting to the
genvmunix kernel changed my devices, once i changed the link in
/etc/fdmns/usr_domain I was able to mount it and run doconfig.

My concern is that / and /usr are on the same disk /dev/rz8a for / and
/dev/rz8b for /usr... why would the link to / remain the same /dev/rz8a yet
/usr changed to /dev/rz16b

I have been told that the ES40 has a priority bus. My diff controller for my
drives on the HSZ70's is in slot 9 or pci 1 slot 5.

My questions are...

1. Will this complicate matters in the future?

2. Is there an easy way to figure out which devices are real now and which
are not?

3. Is there a way to avoid this short of a system rebuild.

My current solution was to change back to my original kernel vs changing all
of my links within /etc/fdmns and am running without the KGSPSA drivers
installed. This is ok for now... but I need to get hot on that project again
and now have another monkey wrench in the works, I have a new DIFF SCSI card
that needs to be installed for my new TZ892.

Any help or guidance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Terrence R. Haupt
UNIX Systems Administrator
Abbott Laboratories.

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to using Windows NT for
mission-critical applications."
     -- What Yoda *meant* to say