SUMMARY: How to use vdump/vrestore remotely

From: Goldberg, David \(Tandem\) <"Goldberg,>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2000 14:09:55 -0800

My fault for not specifying the version of Tru64 that I am running.
Incidentally it is 4.0F.

A summary of my question: I need to backup/restore an AdvFS fileset across
the network, how does one do it?

The result is that under 4.0F there is not a remote facility to
vdump/vrestore.

However there is a solution, that does not suit my purposes right now.

It is to do:

vdump -0 -u -b 64 -f - /<filesystem> | rsh -h <hostname with tape drive> dd
of=<tapedrive> bs=64k

using vrestore is the opposite:

rsh <hostname> dd if<tapedrive> bs=64k | vrestore -f - -x -v

Fortunately for those of us on 5.0 and higher we could use rvdump/rvrestore
in much the same manner as rdump/rrestore.

Thanks to:
Dirk Kleinhesselink
Dr. Tom Blinn
Bill Melvin
John Gormley (he suggested I use Amanda, I will certainly be looking into
that)
Bruce Platt (who had an answer he saved, I guess I should have searched the
archives, or I would have found it)
David Dougherty
alan_at_nabeth.cxo.dec.com (Don't know your last name)

Cheers,

David Goldberg
ADC Genesis Operations
*david.goldberg_at_compaq.com