Summary Gigabit fibre networking for AS8400

From: Gwen Pettigrew <gwen_at_ocean.cf.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 11:22:27 +0000

Thanks to Frank-Peter Reich, Tom Blinn, Guy Loucks, Lyndon Handy, and
Jeffrey Mogul for supplying the answers to my question about Gigbit
fibre networking ( I got it right this time Tom ;o) ). The answer
was use a DEGPA-SA card. Lyndon also provide some other useful
information in that we will also be using 3 Com networking equipment.

I also for got to mention that we are running 5.0A and definitely dont
want to write our own drivers.

Frank-Peter's answer

> Hi,
>
> -DEGPA-SA PCI to GbE SX Adapter ~ 2200 EUR
>
> cu

Tom's answer

> Do you want something for which there are drivers? Or do you plan to
> write your own drivers?
>
> As far as I know, the ONLY available options that work with Tru64 UNIX
> are the Compaq branded gigabit (not "byte") interface cards. I think
> they are manufactured for us by Alteon, so you MIGHT be able to figure
> out what they are in Alteon's catalog and save a small amount, but you
> would sacrifice support (if you buy the Alteon product and it doesn't
> work, it's your problem, not our problem).
>
> For any other option, you have to deal with finding drivers that will
> work with Tru64 UNIX. You didn't indicate what version of software
> you are running; I can assure you that keeping network drivers up to
> date with the different versions of Tru64 UNIX is not a simple piece
> of work; we do it (because we have to), option vendors may not (and
> that is if you can find an option vendor who has drivers at all).
>
> Contact your local Compaq authorized reseller for pricing information.

Guy's answer

"Loucks, Guy" wrote:

> Compaq DEGPA, about $3500A, so I would expect about $1700 sterling.

Lyndon's answer

> We have been running a GigaBIT Ethernet fiber network in our building for a
> year now. The best adapter is a Compaq DEGPA. It cost us about $4000.00
> Canadian Dollars each ($~2700 USD). Works perfectly, and we are using 100%
> 3Com switches and hubs to form the fabric of our multi floor network.

.

Jeffrey's answer

> The DEGPA-SA is the only "supported" Gigabit Ethernet adaptor
> for the 8400, as listed at
> http://www.compaq.com/alphaserver/options/as8400/as8400_options.html
> According to the QuickSpecs at
> http://www.compaq.com/products/quickspecs/10479_na/10479_na.HTML
> the DEGPA-SA provides
> Connections
> SC fiber connector for 62.5/125 micron
> fiber, or 50/125 micron MMF
>
> Sorry, I'm not sure exactly what the list price is. I'd
> guess that it's more than $1000 and less than $3000 in the US.
>
> Although it's possible to actually get nearly 1 gbit/sec
> process-to-process (via TCP) performance with this adaptor,
> it's not always easy. I'm not sure anyone has actually
> measured the results with an 8400.
>
> -Jeff

Original question

--