SUMMARY: printing directly to port 9100

From: Dan Kirkpatrick <dkirk_at_phy.syr.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2000 14:33:28 -0500

I'm not done by far, but here's a quick summary for those who gave
suggestions...

Under Digital Unix the printing to port 9100 works correctly when the
printcap prints to :lp=_at_205hp5si/hpnet:\ (where hpnet is 9100 is defined in
/etc/services). The only problem here is the built-in accounting only
accounts correctly for postscript and not PCL. And the add-on accounting
script I have doesn't pass PCL jobs correctly.

Under RH Linux 6.2, I added the printer direcly to port through RH
Printtool, port 9100 is in /etc/services and it references a .config file
under spool directory for the direct print information (contentsof
.config: printer_ip=128.xxx.xxx.xxx, port=9100)
(Printtool shows: printer DIRECT - Postscript printer at
128.xxx.xxx.xxx:9100)
and it still doesn't work.
and RH Printtool is used to

So... instead of fighting with a custom way of fooling with it... I'm going
to try LPRng (www.astart.com) and ifhp.

Worth noting a new book I'm rushing an order on is:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/netprint/
And another reference worth noting is (http://www.linuxprinting.org/)

I'm not done, and it will take awhile, so I thought I'd get this much out
anyway.

Thanks!
--Dan