SUMMARY: syslog stops logging

From: Ann Cantelow <cantelow_at_atlas.csd.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2000 09:32:29 -0700 (MST)

Hi folks. The problem was that syslogd on one of our 4.0G machines was
becoming hung occasionally, requiring a stop and start to get it logging
again.

Many thanks for invaluable and unflagging help from Jem Treadwell of
Compaq. The problem was tracked to a bug in libc, to do with reverse dns
lookup during a select call, as far as I understood.

Here is the combination of factors that caused the problem, and how we
fixed it: We had an empty syslog.auth file to disallow foreign logging to
our machine. There was a printer somewhere on our network, however, that
was configured to send its status messages to that machine. This printer
had an internal IP address, 192.168.2.2, but no reverse lookup. When it
tried to connect, syslogd was still trying to look up its name before
refusing access, and getting hung in the select() call while doing so
--sometimes. Syslogd got hung one time out of three in one of our tests.
We added reverse lookup for the printer's IP and enabled it in syslog.auth
to see what it was trying to say, and received some normal-looking printer
messages about paper being out, etc. Our syslogd has been fine since, no
hangs. It was an interesting set of events.

Ann Cantelow

Original question: