rdump and C2 security

From: Tru64 User <tru64user_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 11:53:24 -0800 (PST)

Working on OSF/1 V4.0D, (test machine) trying to make
a full backup via rdump. Remote machine running V.4.0F
(does it matter?)

I have not worked with machines having C2 security,
 this is my time here. Now, I was trying to perform
 rdump, and it fails. I have local host name in
foreign
 machines /etc/hosts.equiv, and for the sake of it, I
 also created a .rhosts file in my home directory on
 the remote machine. But still rdump fails. I tried
rsh to
 do simple stuff, `ls -l`, and it works OK.
 So I am wondering, why should rsh work but not rdump?
 This is what I am getting with rdump:
 rcmd: socket: Permission denied
 rdump: Cannot establish connection to remote rmt
 command
 rmthost(): rcmd(): Permission denied
 Terminated
 ***********Any ideas ?**********

_Thanks

Any other easier ways to get full system backup with
without using mounts? (Currently I had to use system
mounts, but problem/annoyance is that I couldn't eg.
mount local / file system as / on the other side,
since there is already root. So I mounted it as
/newroot, and all files are there on tape, but with
extension /newroot/etc, ..... It is going to be an
extra work to take them off /newroot if i have to
restore to the root part.

=====
Richard F. MollelSystems AdministratorSAIC Greenbelt, MD Experience is what allows you to recognize a mistake the second time you make it.