<<< 550 Your System is being used as a SPAM relay

From: Tru64 User <tru64user_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 05:00:53 -0800 (PST)

Last week, after a long awaited system shutdown, I
performed a shutdown. Next day, our system was used a
SPAM relay!!! Found out that former Admin never
changed startup scripts to start sendmail 8.9.3,
instead, the startup script kicked 8.8.1 which allows
relay by default. Ok, hole was closed few minutes
after we were used!! I had to contact several
organizations which had already blacklisted us. Only
problem remains within our own organization.
Scenario: I administrate system xxx.yyy.com in this
case.
My user, call it "myuser", tries to send an email to
someone_at_yyy.com. They bounce back with the message
below. I am convinced that it is not a problem on my
end, but rather on main system yyy.com denying us. It
seems like they have us in their form of blacklist as
SPAMERS. But, the admin there does not agree, saying
they don't use any blacklists. Can anybody help
explain what is going on below? I might be wrong all
along, but "very unlikely." I can send email to any
other address in our own domain, from any other
machines I administer without any problem. (I also
have ppp.yyy.com and qqq.yyy.com, they dont have any
problem). I can also send across from ppp to qqq
without anyproblem.Using sendmail 8.9.3 on all
machines

The original message was received at Wed, 13 Dec 2000
15:39:17 -0500 (EST)
from localhost

   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal
errors -----
<someone_at_yyy.com>

... while talking to yyy.com.:
>>> RSET
<<< 550 Your System is being used as a SPAM relay
554 deliver: mci=14008ef18 rcode=0 errno=0 state=0
sig=yyy.com.
554 <someone_at_yyy.com>... Internal error

    [ Part 2: "Delivery Status" ]

Reporting-MTA: dns; xxx.com
Received-From-MTA: DNS; aaa.yyy.com
Arrival-Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:39:17 -0500 (EST)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; aaa_at_yyy.com
Action: failed

Remote-MTA: DNS; yyy.com
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Your System is being used
as a SPAM relay
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 15:39:17 -0500 (EST)

=====
Richard F. Mollel
Systems Administrator
SAIC
Greenbelt, MD
Experience is what allows you to recognize
  a mistake the second time you make it.