background job logs off when process logs off?

From: George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 11:21:41 -0500

I am starting a job to run in the background process with the following:

rsh -n lserver1 /usr/mbin/tcpdumpit > /tmp/fifofile &

But when I logout, that process stops as well.
Any Ideas on what to check?

One thought I had is when I start up the process, I get the "listening..."
message to my screen, Do I need to redirect errorout to /dev/null to
keep the process from dropping when I log out, If so how do you setup
that with an rsh command?

I'm running on 3.2c on a 2100, and the remote command is running
on a linux machine. Basically I'm using the linux machine to monitor
a switch port then send the data back to our 2100 for massaging.

Since the 2100 isn't on that switch, I can't use it to monitor the packets.

George

George Gallen
Senior Programmer/Analyst
Accounting/Data Division
ggallen_at_slackinc.com
ph:856.848.1000 Ext 220

SLACK Incorporated - An innovative information, education and management
company
http://www.slackinc.com