Disk Problems

From: Mike Whorley <Mike.Whorley_at_coda.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2001 14:08:41 +0000

Earlier in the week I posted a problem I was experiencing with i/o bus
errors in the /usr partition. After more digging I have discovered there
appears to be corruption in the 'usr_domain' domain where /usr resides.

On the console I am seeing the following :-

"Incorrect Tag in mcell.....
Advfs Domain Panic on usr_domain
Metadata write error"

It advises me to consult the ADVFS Admin guide and look at the recovering
domains section. I have done this and used the verify utility on usr_domain
in single user mode. This runs but only returns several mcell and tag
errors.

Can anyone advise on a way of resolving this corruption ?

I have recently taken a backup of usr_domain using btcreate and am
considering trying to recover from that tape. Having never recovered using
btextract can anyone advise whether this straightforward and point me at
some notes on the process ?

Regards,
Mike.