Passwd and or Group file locked

From: La Roche, Michael <mlaroche_at_allsaintshealthcare.org>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2001 13:11:41 -0600

Group,
I have a problem using /usr/sbin/adduser or /usr/sbin/removeuser it comes
back and says that the files are locked by another user, I am the only one
logged on. What happened was the remove user option hung and the person
using it killed themselves off and tried to go back in to removeuser and
then got the error. We have rebooted and also have tried restoring an older
passwd and group file. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

BTW here's the message:
The password and group files are currently locked by another user.
Please try again later.
Error, exiting useradd /usr/sbin/adduser. Check /etc/passwd.
Mike

                      \\\|///
                    \\ _ _ //
                    ( _at_ _at_ )
  o-----------oOOo-( )-oOOo---------o
{ Michael J. La Roche - Systems Analyst }
{ All Saints Healthcare System, Inc. }
{ 3801 Spring Street }
{ Racine, WI 53405 }
{ V: 414-687-8973 }
{ F: 414-687-4240 }
{ E: mlaroche_at_allsaintshealthcare.org }

Bradley's Bromide:
        If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee
-- that will do them in.