SUMMARY: bad wtmp and runaway accounting

From: Chris Loken <cloken_at_cita.utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:10:52 -0400

Great list! First time on and I had the answer within minutes...

PROBLEM:

My problem was that my wtmp file seemed to become corrupted very quickly
even after completely wiping it out and starting over. E.g.

cat /dev/null > /var/adm/wtmp (to wipe-out the old wtmp)

/usr/sbin/acct/acctcon1 </var/adm/wtmp
bad wtmp: offset 1568.
bad record is: =t- 3905517474781593600 Wed Nov 26
17:04:48 2031 EST

SOLUTION:

My version of ssh was compiled under V4.x and since the wtmp format has
changed from V4 to V5, my ssh is writing old-format records. I've
verified that this is the problem and am sure that once I recompile shh
this will go away.

THANKS: Paul Sand, Richard Fairfield, and Peter Wuestner all appear to
have run into this before and immediately recognized the source of the
problem.

   Chris

Chris Loken Phone: 416-978-5619
Computing Facility Manager Fax: 416-978-3921
Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics