dual NIC - seperate VLANs

From: Sir Scriptzalot <sir_scriptzalot_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 11:45:44 +1000

Hi Managers,

Some background. I have a multi homed Tru64 5.0A (Alpha DS10).
The host has two NICS on separate subnets (VLANs to be specific).
One NIC is configured as

nic1: Subnet 192.55.15.0/26 VLAN004

and the other

nic2: Subnet 192.55.170.0/26 VLAN010

Currently, the host has one route (default static 192.55.15.1).
So a packet arriving at *either* interface will leave via
the static route. This is all OK. But a problem is very soon
going to arise when anti-spoofing measures will be put in
place (very soon!) on the router ACLs for the VLANs.
eg., suppose a packet arrrives to nic2 (and is internally
routed through 192.55.15.1) will hit the router and of course
be dropped because of the source address mismatch.

I have read the archives and a lot talk about ifconfig using
multinet (alias), and routed etc. Both IPs need to be real and
not aliases. Basically, and I'm sure all of you have come accross
this problem, I need to construct the IP config of both cards
so that a packet inbound to nic1 leaves nic1 and a packet inbound
for nic2 leaves nic2.

Any hints, pointers?
Many thanks in advance.

Regards,