SUMMARY: cannot boot from the SCSI device

From: Marina Zakharova <mary_at_tornado.yars.free.net>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 10:05:13 +0400 (MSD)

Dear Managers,

 Many thanks for their answers to:

 Dr. Thomas P. Blinn:
 I'd recommend you use the ARC console and run Linux. You might be
 able to get the system to work with Tru64 UNIX, but it's likely to
 be a frustrating experience, since there will be lots of trial and
 error, and most of the compatible parts are no longer marketed.

 Kurt Ludwig:
 that's pretty common actually w/ SCSI cards. It doesn't show up because it's
 PCI ID is different than the 'supported' 53c875 cards in SRM.
 ARC/ AlphaBIOS was set up to handle a much wider range of cards and PCI IDs
 due to NT's support for them. VMS/Tru64 have very limited support for
 adapters as compared to NT.
 if you're running linux on it, you can probably see the ASUS card after the
 machine boots (you'd be able to do this if you could get something to
 bootstrap from SRM w/ the ASUS card in there too).

 alan:
 The list of SCSI adapters supported by Tru64 UNIX is in the
 Software Product Description for whatever version you're
 running. There is a copy of the SPD in the DOCUMENTATION
 directory of the base OS CDROM. The name you mention isn't
 familiar, so it probably isn't supported by Compaq. If the
 vendor for the adapter provided you with a driver, then
 maybe they need a different driver. If they didn't provide
 a driver, then find out from them how to make it work.

 Our solution is:

 We found out that ASUS PCI-SC875 SCSI adapter works with AlphaPC 164/433
 and ADAPTEC PCI-SC875E SCSI adapter is OK with AlphaPC 164LX,
 Now TRU64 5.0 runs well on both computers.

 The original text was: