SUMMARY 2: Rename of NIC

From: <hofmannt_at_post.ch>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:20:04 +0200

I've received a second solution:

Thanks to Robert Sandford.

Original question locates at the end.

----------- Second solution: -------------

The solution we used to remap the tu devices:

First Step: Removal

Remove hardware persistence entries from the database but does not affect
any hardware component currently using the name. It only affects the
persistence of the name across reboots.

  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu0
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu1
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu2
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu3
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu4
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu5
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu6
  hwmgr -remove name -entry tu7

Second Step: Deletion

Deletes the hardware component from all system databases.

  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu0
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu1
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu2
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu3

Third Step: Reboot

  Once the machine reboots it rebuild the device database recreating
tu0, tu1, tu2, tu3. It will then mark tu4, tu5, tu6, tu7 as not being
in use which allows hwmgr to delete them from the database.

Fourth Step: Deletion

  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu4
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu5
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu6
  hwmgr -delete name -entry tu7

There are two ways to verify that the devices are now correctly
configured.

1.) Show current configured devices that map to a slot.

    hwmgr -show name | grep tu

    101: tu3 redbudcm1a CONTROLLER pci2 slot 7
    100: tu2 redbudcm1a CONTROLLER pci2 slot 6
     99: tu1 redbudcm1a CONTROLLER pci2 slot 5
     98: tu0 redbudcm1a CONTROLLER pci2 slot 4

2.) Show all components even the devices that are not mapped to a
    controller.

    hwmgr -show components full | grep tu

    98: redbudcm1a r---- none tu0
    99: redbudcm1a r---- none tu1
   100: redbudcm1a r---- none tu2
   101: redbudcm1a r---- none tu3

NOTE: You should no longer see tu4-tu7.

There was a lot of interest in this issue. Compaq support is pretty
unprepared in this area.

another method that probably works but we didn't test was to use:

dsfmgr -m tu0 tu4

A couple of suggestions pointed us at exploring the scripts executed at
boot time (bcheckrc in particular), which sounds promising.

----------- SUMMARY 1: -------------

I've received only one answer.

Thanks to Jim Fitzmaurice.

    Unconfigure tu0 and then configure tu2. Attempting to rename it would be
too much trouble and even if you managed to get everything right, there is
still no guarentee that it will work. Also consider this, if you did get the
rename to work, then later it fails, you'll always have that nagging
suspiscion that maybe it was a problem with the rename. So you'll probably
end up re-configuring it anyway.

Regards Thomas

----------- Original question -------------
Hello managers

I do a backup of an DS10 with V5.1.
Then I make a restore on another Hardware.
Now I can rename the disk ( disk1 to disk0: dsfmgr -m disk1 disk0 ).

But how can I rename the NIC from tu2 to tu0?
Or have I to deconfigure tu0 and configure tu2 to become a runnig system?

Thanks!

Regards.

Thomas Hofmann

Die Schweizerische Post