Tru64 on Alpha PC164

From: Jim Guggemos <jaguggemos_at_lbl.gov>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 09:04:48 -0700

Greetings.

I know this topic has come up before but I have been unable to find a previous
discussion with the same problem I am having.

I am trying to install Tru64 v5.1 on an older Alpha machine with an Alpha
PC164 motherboard (assembled by a third party company). The firmware on the
machine is ARC version 4.49-7 produced sometime in late 1996. (I upgraded it
from 4.49-5 which was originally on the box.)

The problem is to install Tru64, you need to run the SRM console firmware.
According to the Tru64 Installation Guide (for version 5.1), section 5.4
"Migrating Your System from Windows NT for Alpha to Tru64 Unix", it says that
you need to select from the main menu "CMOS setup"/"Advanced CMOS
setup"/"Console Selection: Digital UNIX console (SRM)". Then, once you are
running SRM, you can upgrade it from the firmware CD. But these menus don't
exist or at least I haven't found them.

The firmware CD that comes with OSF1 v5.1 has SRM firmware for that
motherboard but I don't know how to install it. There is a "Run Program"
option from the ARC console - I don't know if there is a way to use that to
switch to SRM or not.

I have also heard that I may just be out of luck - some older motherboards
just won't run SRM/Tru64. I'm hoping that is not the case here.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you,
   Jim Guggemos
   UNIX Systems Engineer