Can't access Oxygen RAID after OSFPAT00022500500

From: Tobias Ernst <tobi_at_physcip.uni-stuttgart.de>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 20:56:45 +0200

Hi!

Among our inventory of Tru64 systems there are such things as a an XP1000
workstation which accesses two hardware RAID boxes, one a Mylex, and one an
Oxygen.

The system was running DU 4.0d some time, and this weekend we upgraded it to
Tru64 5.0 (as a matter of standardization across our network we did not go
to 5.0a, and 5.1 was ruled out by the gcc problems).

After this very strange NFS problems appeared with our Solaris clients (and
only them, the Tru64 and Linux clients had no problems). We then installed
the t64v50as0003-20010221 cumulative patchkit.

After that, the NFS problems had disappeared, but we could no longer mount
the Oxygen RAID. We then experimented around and found out that
OSFPAT00022500500, also known as SSRT0675U, is the culprit. Just
deinstalling this single patch solves the problem, and reinstalling it again
creates it again.

The Oxygen has an AU-3102UA controller and is at Firmware revision V1.31I.
It contains a bunch of disks which show up as a single dkb300 entry in SRM
and as rz11 on Tru64 (it also gets a /dev/disk/dsk2 device since 5.0).

When SSRT0675U is installed, this device is inaccessible, we get "no such
device or address" like messages even when trying to read the disklabel of
the disk. When SSRT0675U is uninstalled, reading the disklabel and mounting
the disk works just fine.

Now, due to the idiosyncratic way in which German educational institutions
buy their computer equipment, we don't have a DEC/COMPAQ representative whom
to contact because of this issue. For the moment we can live with just not
installing this selective patch (and the OSFPAT00014900500 which relies on
it), but I fear that sooner or later we will be unable to upgrade to a newer
version of the OS because then the distribution kernel might already contain
this new code without possibility of backing it out.

So it would be really nice if some Compaq engineer who reads this could pick
it up and look into it. If you need additional information, just tell me
what and how to obtain it.

Kind Regards,
Tobias.