PRESTOSERVE: Still supported?

From: Sylvain Robitaille <syl_at_alcor.concordia.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2001 11:33:11 -0400 (EDT)

[ Also posted to the comp.unix.tru64 newsgroup ]

Folks,

I have a number of DEC/Compaq systems (of varying sizes and
configurations), some of which include a PrestoServe disk cache.

I also happen to have a spare PrestoServe board, and an application
running on an AlphaServer DS10, that would most certainly benefit from
the extra write caching.

Our hardware technician has indicated that he recalls having heard
something to the effect that the PrestoServe boards are no longer
supported by Compaq. He's therefore reluctant to install our spare in
this machine.

Does anyone know if this is true? Is there a document somewhere on
Compaq's web site which clarifies this? As far as I know we're still
paying for a maintenance contract for these boards. Can Compaq charge
us for maintenance, yet refuse to support the boards?

If they're still supported, does anyone know whether or not I'd be able
to install a PrestoServe board in an AlphaServer DS10? I can't seem to
find any indication on Compaq's web site that this is possible, but that
strikes me as strange. (It just fits into a PCI slot and is recognized
and used by the OS, no?)

Thanks in advance for helpful responses...

Sylvain Robitaille                              syl_at_alcor.concordia.ca
Systems analyst                                   Concordia University
Instructional & Information Technology        Montreal, Quebec, Canada