Locked password and group files?

From: Adametz, Bluejay <bluejay_at_fujigreenwood.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 08:06:14 -0400

I've got a V4.0F pk2 (I know... update) system with standard security.
Whenever I try to add accounts I get:

        The password and group files are currently locked by another user.

It's been this way for weeks now. How can I find out what's got the files
locked? I can find no processes running any of the usual administrative
commands. I tried using lsof to see if anything had passwd or group open
with no results.

My suspicion is that something in the application may be responsible, but
that's just because I can't think of anything else. The local application
people are at a loss to explain this, and the developers are in the other
hemisphere and have yet to respond.

I'd really like to avoid having to bounce this machine just to add an
account.
---
Bluejay Adametz, CFII, A&P	bluejay_at_fujigreenwood.com
Fuji Photo Film, Inc.		+1 864 223 2888 x1369
Greenwood, SC, USA
---
Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.