Tape device write failure

From: Aaron Siebert <aaron.siebert_at_nagrastar.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:37:06 -0600

My backup log reported a failure writing to the tape device. The failure
was "vdump: unable to write to device </dev/nrmt0h>; [5] I/O error".
This message is being generated at what seems to be the same point each
time. It moves through much of the dump process then fails at what seems
the same point. I have tried multiple tapes and cleaning the drive
several times with no luck. I then initiated a support call with Compaq
and they replaced the drive however the problem continues. I have
reviewed the device configuration but nothing stands out. Any help?

Aaron Siebert (IT Engineer 303-706-5492)