NFS mounting on a private network

From: Richard Eckman <r.s.eckman_at_larc.nasa.gov>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:31:28 -0400

  I'm attempting to put a DEC 3000/400 running Tru64 UNIX v5.0 behind a
Linksys cable/DSL router box, so that I can share an ethernet connection in
the office. I've configured the DEC box with a static IP address and default
gateway to the Linksys box. I've also made the DEC machine the DMZ host on
the Linksys box.
  Generally, everything seems okay. I can telnet/ftp in and out of the box
and my NIS services appear to work. However, I'm unable to configure this
box sucessfully as an NFS client. I can manually mount an NFS filesystem
from the server machine. On the client DEC box, it shows up as mounted with
a "df" command, but any attempt to access this filesystem (like doing an
"ls" on the directory) is unsuccessful.
  I'm guessing that I'm missing something fundamental in the way NFS is
working with this client on a private network behind the Linksys router. I'm
uncertain what the implications are of the NFS server thinking the client
machine has a certain IP address, when in fact the client is configured with
a 192.168.1.xx address. When the DEC 3000 was directly connected to the
building ethernet, NFS works as expected. Are there any workarounds to get
NFS mounting to work on this private network?
  Thanks for any assistance.

Richard Eckman
NASA Langley Research Center
Hampton, VA