Command History Frustration

From: Kevin M. McGrath <kmcgrath_at_keyspanenergy.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2001 08:42:24 -0400

Coming from the VMS and NT environments I get extremely frustrated about
the fact that the command history function, up-arrow key, is not enabled
on Unix systems by default. even after modifying profile files on both
our root and my individual account, there are times when I open another
window or login to a different account via the "su" command, that I find
that I have to do another "set emacs 0" to get history working again for
that particular function.

why is this so hard to setup and is anyone working on making this a
built-in function under most versions of Unix and their associated
shells?