Problem with Pro/E and Powerstorm 300

From: Uwe Lienig <Uwe.Lienig_at_fif.mw.htw-dresden.de>
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 18:17:18 +0100

Hi managers,

most of you struggle with databases and the like ... well I have a more
desktop-like question.

The OS is Tru64 4.0f, pk6 (fresh updated).

We use COMPAQ XP900 (the old DPW 600au) for CAE. We bought PowerStorm 300's.
Right now I tried to upgrade to version 2.0 of the driver, available from
COMPAQ.

To install all properly, I've done it the following way:

- removed all Open3D kits, they where 4.96 (setld -d)
- removed the old Powerstorm driver, which was 1.3
- did the patch
- build the new kernel
- installed PowerStorm driver 2.0

- at this stage stopped and did not install Open3D 4.96 (had problems before)

Then I tried to start Pro/E, Version 2001 (last supported version, oh god,
COMPAQ throws all the users over to M$W - Alpha off the desktop - out of mind
...)

some Win2K boxes, where the model could be loaded without harm, makes me
thinking, that the modelstate after the last save makes the OpenGL crash), will
now load perfectly - but if I hit the shaded model view button, ProE crashes
immediately:

Out of virtual memory: Cannot continue
Serious internal error; cannot continue.

I've played with the kerneltuner, but this doesn't help much, since I do not
know which parameters to tune.

After my first tuning to the kernel parameters now I get an error from my ulimit
command, when I issue (bash 2.02):

ulimit -v unlimited

bash: ulimit: cannot modify limit: Invalid argument

ulimit -v gives:
10485760

So, my questions are:

1. How to tune the kernel that it will fit the needs of Pro/E ?
2. Is Open3D, V4.96 required to run the Powerstorm ? If, which parts should be
installed,
   which not ? The license is installed !!

The documentation isn't much of help with this. There are no hints on this
topic!

Any help greatly appreciated !

TIA