Error: no directory

From: Jonathan Williams <jonathw_at_shubertorg.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 16:21:35 -0500

Ok...probably a simple question for most of you. On our development system, there is a user called "passport". Here is the line from the systems /var/yp/src/passwd file:
passport:bI2GvSvPaBLI.:1016:24:Passport Rep:/devel/passpt:/usr/bin/ksh

This is a user we have had for a long time, and suddenly when you try to log into the system as "passport" it tells you "no directory". And won't let you log in. So I thought somehow the permissions on the /devel/passpt directory had been changed...but no, they have not:
drwxr-xr-x 35 passport devel 8192 Nov 15 15:53 passpt

So I'm basically just confused (as usual). Why would you get this error message, and what else should I look at to correct this problem. This is not a user we need to log in as directly very often--so I can't say how long it's been since we've had the problem.

Oh...btw, the system is Tru64 4.0F patchkit 4

Jonathan Williams
Unix Systems Administrator
The Shubert Organization, Inc.