after upgrade from 5.1 to 5.1A, can't log into serial console

From: Toni Harbaugh-Blackford <harbaugh_at_ncifcrf.gov>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 15:51:30 -0500

Hi

I strange thing happened when I upgraded from 5.1 to 5.1A. While the system detects
that I have both a serial console and a graphics display, I am no longer allowed to log
into the serial console. The console prompt works from the serial console, but
as soon as the boot sequence gets past the 'isp0' listing, all output to the serial
console stops.

When I log into the X display, the system displays a window saying (paraphrased)
"A serial console has been detected, console output will be directed there".

When I shutdown the system, I once again gain access to the serial console.

How do I get my interactive serial console back? I need to remotely manage the
system from the serial console, *NOT* the X display.

Thanks,
Toni