SUMMARY: Font problem with the Acrobat Reader

From: Ralf Eichmann <ralf.eichmann_at_physik.uni-marburg.de>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:54:24 +0100

My original question was:

Hello Managers,

we have problems to run acroread V4.0.5 on Tru64 Unix 5.1 PK4
workstations. If one uses the local X server (the graphics card is a
ELSA Gloria with Permedia-2 chip and 8MB RAM, the mode is 1280x1024 with
24bpp and 70Hz), then we get the error message:

Unable to extract the embedded font 'JIGAGL+times-Roman'. Some
characters may not display or print correctly.

One cannot see any character in the PDF document, only some part of the
included drawings.

The same works without any problem on a Tru64 Unix 5.1 PK3 machine and
remote using an X server running on Windows NT, too. Because the message
is 'unable to extract' and not 'unable to find', I already checked the
permissions on /tmp and /var/tmp, but they are ok (777+t).

I got two replies: From Compaq's Dr. Blinn and from Juergen Mayr. What
sounded like a peculiar problem (Mr. Blinn suggested some broken shared
lib), has an easy solution (from Mr. Mayr): Edit the acroread script to
contain two additional lines:

#!/bin/sh
#
LC_ALL=C #insert this
export LC_ALL #and this
ver=4.0 #original script starts here

Therefore, this problem seems to be an i18n problem, since we installed
Tru64 UNIX German Support V5.1 on our machines.

Best regards,
Ralf Eichmann
--
Adr.: Universitaet Marburg     Fachbereich Physik, AG HL(Theorie)
      Renthof 5     D-35032 Marburg