new hsz70 units having strange problems

From: balaji <balaji_at_temple.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 09:40:26 -0500

Hello

We installed a new HSZ70 pair yesterday to a AS8200 and created a bunch of
RAID sets and 0+1 sets which was mounted on the machine which incidently is
running 4.0X release of OS.

After working ok for few hours we got a error on one of the mount points
where by we were not able to access bunch of mount points (Metadata errors on
Advfs domains).

We rebooted the machine which seemed to fix the issue. We then proceeded to
use
the machine and we saw the same problem today morning whereby one of the mount
points started giving errors where by (cd /mountpoint) hung.

I did the following to debug the issue

a. Went to the HSZ70 console to see if units are ok. It seemed fine. The
battery was low but I don't know if that would cause the issue.

b. Its a simple advfs domain and all the links look good.

c. The cable length is 15 ft from the machine to the controller which
   is within the limit.

The problem is even stranger because the error doesn't come on all the units
on the hsz70 but only specific mount points.

Any clues to what else I can look into. (As I said previously the reboot seems
to fix the issue)

Balaji./