SUMMARY: dual-homed SCSI disk

From: Ed Mehlschau <em_at_icess.ucsb.edu>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 18:01:49 -0800

Hi All,

This list rocks!

Thanks to:

  alan at something dot cpqcorp dot net
  Dr. Thomas P. Blinn
  Bryan LaVelle
  Alan Davis
  Jim Kurtenbach
  Joerg Bruehe
  Lucien HERCAUD
  Michael Huntington

  Apologies to anyone I might have missed.

The original question(s):

  I'd like to configure one SCSI bus that has the following three bus
  devices on it:

      1) Compaq DS20 running Tru64 UNIX with SCSI address x
      2) Compaq DS20 running Tru64 UNIX with SCSI address y
      3) generic 3rd-party disk storage subsystem with SCSI address z

  and mount(8) the disk device in (3), above, read/write on both DS20's.

  Is this possible?

  Have you done it? If so, what's the recipe for doing so?

The answer(s):

  Yes,

  Yes, and,

  Use TruCluster that became available as of V5.0A. On V5.1 the two
  systems must have Memory Channel as their private communcation path,
  but in V5.1A, a private LAN can be used. Use only supported I/O
  subsystems.

  [Plain ol' mount(8) without clustering] Won't work. Period. Forget
  about it. If you really want to get something along those lines
  working, you need the right choice of SCSI adapters, you need
  TruCluster software, you need exactly the right termination scheme,
  and even then, it's often "iffy". You are MUCH better off not even
  trying to do this yourself.

  The ONLY supported way to do this is to run a cluster. Anything else
  and you will absolutely trash the data on that disk.

  This is not supported in any configuration except TruClusters.

  If the third party storage implements something like selective
  storage presentation and it works, you could use a SCSI hub to
  isolate the systems. This type of configuration is supported on the
  HSZ* series of storage. The key here is that only one system can
  mount each device, but the storage presents multiple devices each to
  an individual node. There is no "dual mount" capability. If you want
  both systems to access the same disk you have to use Trucluster or
  mount it on one and export an nfs filesystem to mount on the other.

  It's electrically possible to connect it as you describe, but the
  certainty of data corruption and crashing one or both systems is
  100%.

  Yes, you can probably do it. The caveat that I worry about is
  file/directory locking as each ds20 has no idea whether a
  file/directory is being written to by the other.

  However, you could modify the partition maps on that drive (on each
  machine) so that one machine uses the first "half" of the disk and
  the second machine uses the second "half".

  Set the id of the scsi controller to 6 on one of the machines (>>>set
  pka0_host_id 6) and seven on the other. Set the drive with a jumper
  as id 0-5 and it should work.

  I can imagine two different scenatios:

  a) Both machines mount the same filesystem on the shared disk.

     As any Unix machine does keep a cache of file system pages, a
     shared mount would require them to synchronize these caches.
     There may be a Tru64 option (coming from some cluster stuff) to do
     that, but I have no knowledge in this area.

     If you do not get them to synchronize, this will ruin the shared
     file system.

  b) Both machines mount different file systems, residing in
     different partitions.

     As long as the partition table remains unchanged, I expect this to
     work - but I never tried.

  If you pursue this any further, you should clarify which way you are
  looking into.

  The most valid answer is : YOU NEED THE CLUSTER SOFTWARE on Tru64
  5.1* in order to do this (ie. to allow you to share R/W the same disk
  device as a raw device or as a mounted fileset).

  According to special cases (special usage), there MAY be other
  answers: 1. You can always share in READ ONLY MODE for the raw
  device or for a readonly mounted UFS filesystem. (AdvFS does not know
  what readonly mount is !) 2. You can READ/WRITE use a partition on
  machine A (raw of any fileset usage UFS or AdvFS) and READ/WRITE
  another disk partition (raw of any fileset usage UFS or AdvFS) on
  machine B (but do not attempt to modify the disk partition table on
  any of the 2 machines !!!) 3. You can share the same partition of the
  disk (raw) in READ/WRITE mode if you manage to solve the interlock
  algorithm within your application running as a whole on the 2
  machines (this means a lock manager !!!)

Thanks All!

-- Ed