loss of memory...

From: System Janitor <hubcap_at_hubcap.clemson.edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 09:41:46 -0400

I bet there's a patch for this, and I've just missed it.

I've got an alpha with osf 3.0, pretty heavily used (around 75-120 people
logged on all the time).

It degrades during the time it is up, until it is no longer a useful
machine and has to be rebooted.

It runs slap out of swap space.

On reboot, the kernel's RSS is around 608k, and VSZ is about 1.77m.
Here I am, one day after reboot, and RSS = 29m, and VSZ = 317m.

Yesterday, before I rebooted, while the system was unusable, RSS was 85m
and VSZ was 324m.

swapon -s said both of the swap partitions were mostly full, only a few
percent of the total was left. ps aux showed me no other things that looked
crazy big.

I guess I'm seeing a kernel memory leak, maybe I'm on the wrong track.

Any ideas?

-Mike