SUMMARY: Number of LAT terminal servers

From: <jim_at_orac.ecc.tased.edu.au>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 95 12:17:58 +1000

The original problem was:

>G'day

>We have a 4720 (2 processors, 768Mb RAM) running OSF/1 3.2A and servicing around
>500 concurrent users. Most of our users come in via terminal servers using LAT.
>A number of users also come in using PC's over LAT. Today, PC users and some
>terminal server users could not get a connection. We had around 500 users at the
>time which was well below the 620 that we have configured under latsetup.
>
>After a bit of inspiration I counted (using latcp and wc) the total number of
>LAT "nodes" (for want of a better word) which were connected. This totalled 99.
>If the actual host is included in this count then I would guess that the
>configured default maximum is 100.
>
>After scouring the appropriate documentation I have found no parameter that
>allows this to be changed. Remember this is not the total number of sessions
>that can connect, but the total number of LAT "nodes" (which includes a terminal
>server or a PC).
>
>Can someone enlighten me on how to increase this as it is quite urgent?

I can happily report that this problem has been solved. Below is a combined and
edited version of the replies from Scott Ruch from Digital LAT Engineering:

>You're right - the default max is 100 nodes (including an entry for the local
>host) We fixed this bug in the verion of Digital UNIX that is currently under
>development, but there is no patch available yet.
>
>Let me see if I can come up with a creative solution.

Next day Scott did come up with a creative solution and provided me with a patch for
latcp:

>This patch will be to /usr/sbin/latcp, not a kernel patch. It is not necessary
>to reboot the system, but LAT will have to be stopped (latcp -h) and started
>(latcp -s) once the new latcp is copied into /usr/sbin. This is merely a
>change to a default value, and does not interfere with any previous patches.
>The driver is now configured to not place a limit on the number of nodes
>it can store in it's node database.

This was installed last night and today we have powered through the 100 node barrier
without a problem.

Thanks go to Scott Ruch <swr_at_unx.dec.com> from Digital LAT Engineering and Roberto
Romani <romani_at_redbck.stl.dec.com> from CSC here in Australia for their prompt and
efficient efforts.

Replies were also received from:

Andrew T. Lloyd <atlloyd_at_acer.gen.tcd.ie>
Hellebo Knut <bgk1142_at_bggfu2.nho.hydro.com>

making sure I had set LAT up correctly - which I had. Thanks guys.

Jim.

  Jim Palfreyman Information Technology Branch _--_|\ PGP key
jim_at_orac.ecc.tased.edu.au 2nd Floor 73 Murray Street / \ available
  phone: +61 02 336900 Hobart \_.--._/
    fax: +61 02 336969 TAS 7000 Australia v <-- I be 'ere