SUMMARY:System-wide Cache Size Control on Netscape for OSF/1

From: Yizhong Zhou <zhou_at_puffin.usmcs.maine.edu>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 1995 08:39:22 -18521200 (EDT)

Hi,

My original question was:

> I was wondering if there is a way to turn off disk cache or limit its
> size on a system-wide basis, so that individuals' setup (from Netscape
> session or by editing the .netscape-preferences file) won't overwrite the
> system-wide settings.
>
> Our machines are Digital Alpha 3000/300 and 400, OSF/1 V3.2.

I've received a reply from Paul A. Sand, University of New Hampshire,
pas_at_unh.edu. I took his script approach. If user's .netscape-preferences
file exists, I use an awk script to reset the values for MEMORY_CACHE_SIZE
and DISK_CACHE_SIZE.

Thanks, Paul!

Here's Paul's message:

As near as I can tell, the
netscape folks recommend that you
rename the real netscape binary to something else
and put something like this in its place:

#!/bin/sh
# Put this script in /usr/local/bin/netscape (or whatever.)

set -e

# Set this to the location of the real Netscape executable
REAL_NETSCAPE=/usr/X11R6/bin/real-netscape

# Set this to the location of the default preferences file.
DEF_PREFS=/usr/X11R6/lib/netscape.prefs.init

if [ ! -e $HOME/.netscape-preferences ]; then
    echo '(installing default Netscape preferences...)'
    cp -p $DEF_PREFS $HOME/.netscape-preferences
fi

# The -name option is to avoid confusing the users' X resources.
exec $REAL_NETSCAPE -name netscape $*

And then put a modified preferences file containing (in your
case) a different cache size (in addition to everything else):

DISK_CACHE_SIZE: 0

--
-- Paul A. Sand                 | Choose mnemonic identifiers. If you can't
-- University of New Hampshire  | remember what mnemonic means, you've got