SUMMARY: task_create failed kern.debug message

From: Tim Rhodes <rhodes_at_rhodes.es.vt.edu>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 1995 12:06:15 -0400 (EDT)

> I'm running
>
> DEC OSF/1 V3.0 (Rev. 347); Fri Jan 27 20:56:00 EST 1995
>
> and receive the following message when I incur a heavy load on the system.
>
> Oct 3 16:10:23 medusa vmunix: fork/procdup: task_create failed. Code: 0x11
>
> I can't find the detailed description of this message in the bookreader
> documentation. I realize that I'm reaching some resource shortage, but
> would like to know exactly what. Can someone tell me what the 0x11 in
> this message indicates or point me in the right direction? Thanks...

>From several responses, this indicates exceeding the maximum number of
processes per user. This is the process subsystem attribute, maxuprc.

The cause of this condition if likely of interest to folks running Web
servers. We are running the Netscape commercial server. We're running
a nonsecure service, a secure service, and the admin server. Each of
these services run multiple processes (http listeners) under the same
user. To compound this, the application we're developing is completely
CGI based, so each request spawns off another process (owned by the
configured user) to handle the request.

Currently I'm doing additional resource monitoring to determine how
many processes our development machine can handle. At that point,
I'll adjust the Web server config and maxuprc value and rebuild the
kernel. So as to not oversize the maxuprc value, I will likely run
the different Web services under different users.

Thanks for all responses...
--
.. Tim Rhodes  .....................  http://rhodes.es.vt.edu/~rhodes ..
.. Sr Systems Engineer, Virginia Tech  ...........  Tim.Rhodes_at_vt.edu ..