SUMMARY: profilers & memory leak checkers (long)

From: Han Weegink <Han.Weegink_at_att.cmg.nl>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 1995 13:26:48 +0100

The original questions were:

q1> I'm looking for a good profiler which helps me pin point
q1> the slow parts of an application.
q1>
q1> I've had a look at uprofile, which is of limited use
q1> since it does not handle multithreaded applications
q1> very well. Also, multiple instances of the same
q1> application all send their information to the
q1> same output file, rendering it rather useless.

and

q2> I.m looking for tools that help in detecting memory leaks,
q2> freeing already free'd memory, array bound overruns, etc.
q2>
q2> I have some (good) experience with Purify, but that appears
q2> not to be available for Digital Unix.

Within 48 hours I had about 2 dozen answers. Suggested tools
are:

Profiler: Atom/hiprof, prof, gprof, Parasight, uprofile
Memory leak detector: Insure++, Sentinel, Atom/3rd degree, Insight

I have included detailed information below.
Many thanks to all,

Han (Han.Weegink_at_cmg.nl)

From: Christophe Colle <colle_at_krtkg1.rug.ac.be> (translated)

From: gagnons_at_cae.ca

From: gosejac_at_rto.dec.com

From: "Anthony D'Atri" <aad_at_nwnet.net>

From: SXRGS <sxrgs_at_orca.alaska.edu>

From: vsp_at_unx.dec.com

From: mogul_at_pa.dec.com (Jeffrey Mogul)

From: Frank Nick Riley <nick_at_alldata.com>

From: Gyula Szokoly <szgyula_at_skysrv.Pha.Jhu.EDU>

From:golden_at_falcon.invincible.com

From:lampert_at_alf.dec.com

From:dhinz_at_dna406.dna.mci.com

From: Mike Palmer <mpalmer_at_encore.com>

From: Benoit Maillard - Digital France <maillard_at_atyisa.enet.dec.com>

From:joe_at_resptk.bhp.com.au

From: Dougal Scott <dwagon_at_aaii.oz.au>

>> I'm looking for tools that help in detecting memory leaks,
>> freeing already free'd memory, array bound overruns, etc.
>
>We have exactly the same problem, and evaluated the following two products:
>
>Insure++: We had great problems getting it to work properly with cxx (it would
>core dump during the link phase). Also we were abused by their sales person
>when we requested an extension to the evaluation, when we had problems with
>their program, which didn't impress any of us.
>
>Sentinel: This seemed to work, however we have our own threads library, which
>it couldn't handle, so we weren't able to use this. However the support and
>marketing people where very helpful.

And many others.

Han Weegink

email: Han.Weegink_at_cmg.nl