DU 4.0 and SMP

From: Greg Bell - Systems Staff <gbell_at_centauri.it.wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 1996 17:19:29 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

We have an Alpha 2100 4/275 with 2 processors and 1 gigabyte of memory. We
have over 14,000 accounts and between 100 and 250 users typically logged in.
We are currently running 3.2D-1.

We have noticed that most of the kernel "system" overhead seems to only happen
on CPU 0, as if DU operated as a master/slave system. Recently, our "system"
time on CPU 0 has been running 80-90%, causing load averages to get as
high as 40 or more occasionally. CPU 1 appears to have plenty of extra
cycles during these periods and is being used by 1 or 2 long running jobs.
If we stop the long running (CPU bound) jobs, this still does not free up
CPU 1 to help out with the system load on CPU 0.

Is DU really a master/slave system (I/O and possibly certain other kernel
processing only happening on CPU 0)? If so, will DU 4.0 fix this?

Thanks,

Greg Bell
UNIX Systems Group
Washington State University