SUMMARY: restarting crontab (without rebooting)

From: Rob van Strien <ROB_at_rulxho.LeidenUniv.nl>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 1996 12:24:02 +0000

About two hours ago I posted a question on this list about my cron
demon dying. The response was overwhelming! Thank you all very
much: the problem is solved.

I asked (sorry, I mixed up the actual demon 'cron' and the command
file 'crontab') the following and got the answers:

- Are there obvious reasons for crontab to die?

        The dump command is causing the problem. If it dies for some
      reason it takes dump with it. There is a patch available.

- How can I check whether crontab is running or not?

        % ps -e | grep cron

- How can I restart crontab without rebooting the system?

        % /sbin/init.d.cron start

Thanks again. You all have been very helpful,
Rob
.
.
.
Rob van Strien
Instituut voor Nederlandse Lexicologie, Leiden, NL
rob_at_rulxho.leidenuniv.nl