Secondary POP server

From: Steffen Kluge <kluge_at_ave.ac.agit.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 12:48:08 +0200

Hi managers,

we are using a server machine receiving and distibuting e-mail
for all other machines in our company, among them a number of
PC's (POP clients). The POP server we use is /usr/lib/mh/popd
that comes with OSF/1 (v.2.0).

We would like to back the server by a secondary one that takes
over whenever the first one fails. While handling mail for
other Unix machines is not a problem, I don't know how to handle
mail to POP clients. The PC client software we use (Eudora and
Pegasus) is not able to poll more than one POP server.

A solution could be having the primary server act as a POP
client and, as soon as it comes up again, retrieve all POP
mail from the secondary server. Is there a tool (or config.
trick) that allows me retrieving POP mail from one server
and put it into another server's POP spool area?

BTW: The sendmail running on the primary server is
5.65v3.0, and on the planned secondary server (ULTRIX 4.2a)
it is 5.57, if that matters.

Thanks in advance
Steffen.

-----