Solution: Secondary POP server

From: Steffen Kluge <kluge_at_ave.ac.agit.de>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:09:19 +0200

Apologies for having bothered you with a problem I could solve
by myself after a little thinking...

My question was:
> we are using a server machine receiving and distibuting e-mail
> for all other machines in our company, among them a number of
> PC's (POP clients). The POP server we use is /usr/lib/mh/popd
> that comes with OSF/1 (v.2.0).
>
> We would like to back the server by a secondary one that takes
> over whenever the first one fails. While handling mail for
> other Unix machines is not a problem, I don't know how to handle
> mail to POP clients. The PC client software we use (Eudora and
> Pegasus) is not able to poll more than one POP server.
>
> A solution could be having the primary server act as a POP
> client and, as soon as it comes up again, retrieve all POP
> mail from the secondary server. Is there a tool (or config.
> trick) that allows me retrieving POP mail from one server
> and put it into another server's POP spool area?

I should have mentioned that the secondary server obtains its
sendmail aliases via NIS from the primary one. The solution
was as easy as overwriting mail aliases for POP clients with
a local /etc/aliases (ULTRIX!) file, having them point to the
primary server:

instead of `pc_user: pc_user_at_pop' (as received via NIS)
locally defined as `pc_user: pc_user_at_primary.server'.

All I had to do then was to set the `local,yp'
precedence for aliases in /etc/svc.conf.

The drawback of this solution is that all POP client aliases
have to be maintained on both systems separately.

Thanks to Hannu Paakko <Hannu.Paakko_at_ktt.ktt.fi>, who pointed
me to a version of Pegasus mail supposed to be able to poll
multiple POP servers.

Sorry for my really stupid question
Steffen.

-----