Using SWXCR on DEC 2100 A/500MP

From: R.K.Hillman <R.K.Hillman_at_bton.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 20 May 1996 11:08:36 +0100

We originally purchased a 3-channel version of the above when
we purchased the system over a year ago. We are now about
to start to use the RAID controller, but intend to use it as
just a bunch of disks (JBOD).

Can anyone with some experience provide me with basic information
about what we need to do to configure and maintain disks in
StorageWorks cabinets hanging off this controller?

We have made one (successful I think) attempt to configure
4 disks in a stack, but this has raised a number of questions
for which I can find no answer in the manual we have.

1. Do I have to take the system down and reconfigure if I want
to add extra disks? Does this mean I can only use preconfigured
disks as hot-swaps?

2. Is it necessary to use the RAID software to initialize the
disk (which takes ages) if I'm going to disklabel it from
DEC Unix after?

3. After setting up these JBOD disks, trying to disklabel them
with:

 # disklabel -R -r re1 user-config rz28b

I get:

partition c extends past end of disk by 144 sectors, truncate? [n]:

Has initializing this disks with the utility made these disks smaller
or has the rz28b become something else?

Any info about management of disks on SWXCR controllers would be
greatfully received. Of course, I'll summarize.

Regards

Ray
--
 RFC-822 : Ray.Hillman_at_bton.ac.uk
  X.400 : S=hillman; G=ray; O=bton; PRMD=uk.ac; ADMD= ; C=GB