SROM upgrade question

From: Kai Lanz <kai_at_pangea.Stanford.EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 12:59:08 -0700

We have an Alphaserver 1000 currently running DU 3.0b. We're planning on
upgrading the operating system, and before we do that I'd like to upgrade
the firmware.

At present we have:

SRM console v1.1-1 Nov.4, 1994
OSF PALcode X1.35-53
Serial ROM 0.8

I've downloaded the v3.5 firmware update files from DEC, which will take
care of upgrading the flash ROMs, but what about the SROM? Do we need to
upgrade that as well? Our console terminal is a vt100 connected to the
serial port on the back of the CPU; I wouldn't want to break the console
by upgrading the firmware to a level that's not compatible with our old
SROM. (Does the serial ROM even have anything to do with serial i/o?)
I'm assuming that the SROM is a chip that must be physically replaced;
what's the latest revision level?

----
Kai Lanz             kai_at_pangea.stanford.edu