SUMM: Maiden to Married Names

From: Sheryl A. Campbell <campbell_at_lvc.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Sep 1996 10:40:42 -0400 (EDT)

Hi All!

Sorry for the delay in summary. I'm glad I waited, though, because almost
everyone had a slightly different thing to look for and I think this process
will work quite well. My original post asked how people handle users whose
name changes (for one reason or another) and where I might find a searchable
archive. The searchable archive, which I have since tried and bookmarked, is
the unofficial list archive, located at:
http://www-dccs.stanford.edu/lists/mlists.html

I also found out that if you go one level -above- the "official" OSF
Manager's Index page (which I've had, it appears, bookmarked at the wrong
place for too long), you will find a search engine.

The answer to the name-change question is, I guess, a touchy subject for
some, who told me that at their location, name changes are irrelevant unless
the user puts up a big fuss or they told me that the UID is based not on
names, but other structures. Here at LVC, we -do- base UIDs on names, and
because e-mail addresses are based on the person's name, which, if they have
chosen to do so, legally -has- changed, we change the user's login name at
their request. (We also like to maintain friendly relations with our user
base!) I've summarized the responses below, with my thanks to the following
helpful folks:

Pat Wilson <paw_at_phibes.dartmouth.edu>
Neil Dyce <nd_at_siva.bris.ac.uk>
Steven Newton <snewton_at_oac.hsc.uth.tmc.edu>
David Warren <warren_at_atmos.washington.edu>
Paul Richards <paulr_at_intermix.engr.arizona.edu>
Don Newcomer <newcomer_at_dickinson.edu>
Dave Sill <de5_at_sws5.ctd.ornl.gov>
Martyn Johnson <Martyn.Johnson_at_cl.cam.ac.uk>
Juergen Bock <FDV20_24_at_dbf-s1.dbf.ddb.de>
John Richards <john_at_zyquad.co.uk>
Michael Crowley <mcrowley_at_mhc.mtholyoke.edu>
Bruce Whittaker <bjw_at_ansto.gov.au>
David Bremner <bremner_at_cs.mcgill.ca>
Ken Teh <teh_at_chinook.phy.anl.gov>
Dave Norton <norton_at_nrlmry.navy.mil>
George Gallen <ggallen_at_slackinc.com>

NOTE: When editing the password file, use the command vipw (only if your
favorite editor is something that won't corrupt the file -- for instance,
ours is set to Word Perfect. In our case, we just say setenv EDITOR=vi at
the start of the session.) Using vipw allows you to edit a copy of the
password file, then puts in place once you're finished, eliminating the
cached password file.

1. Check for and remove any entries in /usr/spool/cron/atjobs and
/usr/spool/lp*

2. Change name in /etc/passwd

3. Change name in /etc/group

4. Put in an alias for mail forwarding for old name to new name in either
/etc/aliases or /var/adm/sendmail/aliases (wherever you have it stored)

5. mv /tcb/files/auth/[first letter of old name] to /tcb/files/auth/[first
letter of new name]

6. when you change /tcb/files/auth/ you need to change the username
    two times in there. The line will look like "oldname:user_id=oldname"
    just change oldname to newname.

7. also "rm /tcb/files/auth/x/y" when you are sure that the new login
    works or else you can still login using the old name and password
    and it dumps you in unix because it can't find a home directory.

8. Change user name in user's home directory.

9. Also look at GECOS information if you use that at your site.

An alternate method comes from Paul Richards:

We do login changes all the time under C2, but this is 4.0. Under 3.2d,
YMMV.

First, I 'convuser -b username' to copy their password out of the C2
database. This makes the /etc/passwd entry like a normal, base entry.

I then 'edauth -r username' to remove the old database entry entirely.

I then edit the password file, change the login and home directory entry..

I then 'convuser -i newusername' to put the new login back into the C2
database.

I make the changes to the home dir, as necessary.

I put a line in /var/adm/sendmail/aliases to forward any old mail directed
at the old username.

That's it!

Hope this helps someone else...I know this summary will become part of our
system manual here.

Thanks again to all!

Best Regards,

        Sheryl

% Sheryl A. Campbell Internet: campbell_at_lvc.edu %
% Assistant Director Voice: (717)867-6060 %
% Administrative Computing FAX: (717)867-6019 %
% %
% L E B A N O N V A L L E Y C O L L E G E %
% %
% Never underestimate the power of a smile! %