restricted ftp

From: Ken Teh <teh_at_sun0.phy.anl.gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 13:07:05 -0500

>Hi, is there anyone out there who knows a way to restrict cd in ftp?
>I'm basically trying to prevent users from ftping in and cd out of
>their HOME directories.
> I've tried a few things like giving them Rsh but it won't let them
>ftp. Anon ftp won't work either as seperate HOME directories are
>required. I've even tried to chmod various directories but the 'x'
>permission is required to "go down the tree" let alone go back.
>
>Oh yeah, I'm running DU3.2d (No C2 security).

>Have a nice day { } (I've got that Muarora suntan)
>ALF ||

This is the second time I've seen this request and I don't remember seeing
the response summary to the previous posting.

I don't quite understand the rationale behind this and would appreciate if
someone could explain this to me. Seems to me if a user is authorized on a
machine, he/she should be able to roam about the machine's unprotected
filesystems just as he/she would be able to do when logging in
interactively. Anonymous ftp is another matter since the remote user is NOT
authorized on the machine.

The concept of restricted ftp access for an authorized user runs counter to
the concept of an authorized user. If there are filesystems that should not
be accessible, then they can be protected via the normal file access
mechanism and that would apply even during interactive logged-in sessions.
What sort of scenario would warrant this type of restriction? If I were an
authorized user and had such restrictions placed on me, then I would simply
telnet to the machine and ftp out.

Look forward to hearing some responses to this myself. Thanks!

Ken