lpd problems

From: <marco_at_gore.afep.cornell.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 96 09:25:43 -0400

Hello managers,
        I am having a probelm printing to our AppleLaserwriter 16/600 PS off of
our DEC 3000/500 using DU 3.2c. The printer is a remote printer; it has its own
IP address. This is one of those, "It worked Friday" problems. When I try to
print a file, either text or postscript, the print job is queued but it doesn't
print. I tried to restart the daemon but it doesn't seem to solve the problem.
"/usr/lbin/lpd" does appear in my process table afterwards. Some sysptoms:

An lpq command with no jobs spooled:

gore.afep.cornell.edu: Wed Oct 2 09:10:07 1996:

then it just hangs. I have to hit CRTL-C to get the command prompt back. Isn't
there supposed to be a "no entries" message displayed?

An lpq command with a print job:

gore.afep.cornell.edu: Wed Oct 2 09:10:07 1996:
Rank Pri Owner Job Files Total Size
1st 0 root 338 form.ps 59007 bytes

Again the command hangs and I have to press CTRL-C to exit. After deleting the
jobs from the print spool directory and executing an lpq command I get the
following:

gore.afep.cornell.edu: Wed Oct 2 09:19:59 1996: waiting for
tyler.afep.cornell.edu to come up

Again the command halts. BTW, the printer does accept jobs from the Macintosh
machines around. There is another DEC 3000 which is experiencing the same
problem however. Quite perplexing. Two things have changed in this lab before
this problem: (1) the electricity to the facility had to be turned off, and (2)
some of the Macs in the lab have been switched around.

I appreciate any insight. Thanks in advance. Marco.