SUMMARY: problems alpha Xserver <-> alpha Xclient

From: David Greenberg <dgreenbe_at_georgs.bio.dfo.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Oct 1996 22:49:48 -0300 (ADT)

Thanks to those who replied.
My problem was an application that would fail when run on one alpha and
viewed on my AlphaStation complaining about an error in
(X_CreatePixmap). People directed me to check for X11R6 and X11R5 bad
handshaking and to make sure the bit planes were set properly at 8 not
24. This was not the problem. We tracked it down to trying to use a
virtual screen larger than the screen pixel dimensions. Funny it worked
from some machines to others but not DEC to DEC.

Run Viewed
Worked:
DEC -> Xterm
DEC -> Linux/X
SGI -> Everything

Did not Work:
DEC -> DEC
Sun(Solaris)-> Anything.

When we kept the virtual screen size within the actual limits, all
combinations worked.

Thanks for all insights

Dave
|David A. Greenberg               email d_greenberg_at_bionet.bio.dfo.ca |
|Bedford Institute of Oceanography                                    |
|P.O. Box 1006                         phone (902) 426-2431           |
|Dartmouth, Nova Scotia                fax   (902) 426-7827           |
|CANADA B2Y-4A2                        home  (902) 865-7511           |