[S] pop3 with NIS and C2

From: Gyula Szemenyei <szemgy_at_rkk.hu>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 21:57:42 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi folks,

The problem was my fault: there was a long power failure this weekend.
System was halted and restarted by power management and an older pop3
daemon was started at boot time. ;-(

Thanks for everybody who replied:

Mark Holohan <holohan_at_zko.dec.com> wrote:
The Qualcomm popper (by default) does not make the right password
authentication calls in the C2 environment. The Digital Internet
AlphaServer Software (V3.0 and above) product, ships a modified version of
theQualcomm popper (2.1.4) that will function properly in either C2 or
non-C2 environments. I had to modify the code to utilize the sia*
routines for password authentication.
------
Gustavo Zacarias <gustavo_at_movi.com.ar> wrote:

You should use AUTH method to validate users. Or have and independent
user-database using APOP method with popauth to create/delete users.
------
George Livsey <glivsey_at_hia.net> wrote:

I used qpop instead. We weren't running NIS but we were using the
enhanced C2 security. I would recommend limiting POP logins via local
network hosts since the passwords are uuencoded only.
------
Daniel S. Riley <dsr_at_lns598.lns.cornell.edu> wrote

Did you have -DAUTH set in make.osf1 when you built qpopper?
------

Best Regards,
             Gyula Szemenyei
 | |